Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Yojana Scheme 2019-20
The orthodox and patriarchal rules of the society have placed several obstacles in the development of the nation. In India, the birth of a baby boy is celebrated, while nothing similar happens if a girl is born. Families, in both cities and villages see female children as a burden. While some people leave these children on the steps of an orphanage, others opt for harsher methods like female infanticide. The sex ration is alarmingly low in some states. Apart from several attempts, made by the former government, people did not understand the importance of caring for a baby girl. But there was a stark change in the scenario with the formation of the BJP government. The current PM Narendra Modi made it clear that if the states don’t offer equal opportunities for both girls and boys, the society will never progress. Thus, he designed and implemented the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Yojana or Save Girls Educate Girls Scheme.
Launch details of the scheme
|Name of the scheme||Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Yojana|
|Launched by||Narendra Modi|
|Date of announcement||2014|
|Date of official launch||22nd January, 2015|
|Target beneficiaries||Female children|
|Supervised by||MoWCD, MoHFW and MoHRD|
Objectives of the scheme
- Celebrating the birth of female children – Both female and male children are equal in status. The main aim of the central government was to create an environment, where all households will celebrate the birth of a female child with similar pomp and grandeur.
- Creating awareness – The central government wants to reach out to the remote areas in the country and create awareness among the people. This will pave the path for better development of girls.
- Elimination of sex determination and infanticide – Sex determination is an evil practice that leads to female infanticide. With the implementation of this scheme, there will be a considerable drop in sex determination and female infanticide.
- Reducing child marriage – To get rid of their burden, parents get their daughters married off at young ages. It is also an evil practice, which will be eliminated with the successful implementation of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Yojana
- Offering proper platform for female education – As many see female children as burdens, these girls don’t get the opportunity to go to school. With the implementation of this project, the central government ensured that all female kids get proper access to education.
Key features of the scheme
- Overall development of the female candidates – With the implementation of this scheme, the central government will be able to address overall development of the girls, born within the nation.
- Financially backward categories – The draft of this project highlights that target beneficiaries will be selected from those households, which fall in the financially weaker category.
- Scope for education – The scheme’s main objective is to offer educational facilities for girl children. As the central government will offer support, parents will no longer hesitate to send their girls to school.
- Better employment for women – With unhindered access to proper and higher education, applicants will be able to take a step towards establishing their professional entity. When more women take part in the national work force, the country will progress faster.
Essential points to remember
The Modi government has stated that soon several schemes will be officially implemented for the overall betterment of the girls in urban as well as rural areas. The eligibility criteria, to attain the benefits, will differ from one project to another. However, there are some set criteria that interested applicants will have to meet. Some of these are as follows:
- Residential criterion – Only those female children will be allowed to enroll under this scheme who is residents of India. Thus, interested parents must submit their citizenship certificates to support their nationality claims.
- Age criterion – The age of the interested applicant must be within 10 years. If the age limit crosses this figure, then the girl will not get the benefits. To support this age-related claim, applicants must submit their age proof.
- Must continue school – If the applicants desire to attain the benefits at the specified age, then she must finish and pass her school level education. All applicants must furnish their pass certificates, and school completion certificates.
- Birth certificate – Along with these documents, it is mandatory for the applicants to furnish the birth certificate of the girl child.
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Yojana is a comprehensive scheme that has been implemented by the central government. Under this, it will announce developmental schemes from time to time. Some of these may offer financial support, while others will address social issues that female children face. The application process of these schemes will be different. Some of these will require online application, while offline enrollment will be enough for other programs. The central government wishes to get the cooperation of state governments as well as common people to make this project a grand success. It will take all necessary steps to ensure that girls in India have a better future, and come out of their backward state.
Brand ambassadors of the scheme
To create an impact on the common people, the central government selected some brand ambassadors. The popularity and association of the celebrities will ensure that people listen and follow the points, highlighted in the draft. Manushi Chhillar was selected as the brand ambassador of this scheme for 2017. Young girls look up to women of substance like her, and aspire to achieve their dreams.
The central government has not only implemented the scheme. The current PM has ensured certain steps, which will make this scheme a success. Within the three years, there has been a significant decrease in the school dropout rate amount female candidates. If this trend continues, then the government will be able to abolish all social evils from the urban as well as rural areas.
Other links –