Electricity Bill Waiver Scheme In Gujarat
Bijli Bill Mafi Yojana For Rural User
[Application Form, Eligibility Criteria, Documents]
People, especially in the villages, always complain about not attaining adequate power supply. However, power distribution companies are quick to highlight that people in villages don’t pay their electricity bills properly. This makes them defaulters, and once the amount become substantial, the power agencies terminate the connection. The state has announced a new scheme, namely Electricity Bill Waiver Scheme for villagers. Under this Bijli Bill Mafi Yojana, state government will pay the outstanding power bill amount, and applicants will attain their connection on the payment of a certain sum.
|Name of the scheme||Electricity Bill Waiver Scheme or Bijli Bill Mafi Yojana|
|Launched by||Vijay Rupani|
|Date of announcement||December 2018|
|Last date of application||February 2019|
Key features of the scheme
- Development of poor villagers – It is not possible for many poor rural residents to pay high power charges. If the overdue amount crosses a certain limit, then the authority cuts off the power connection. By implementing this project, state government will offer the electricity connection. Applicants will not have to worry about the payment of any overdue bills.
- Single settlement process – To regain the power connection, applicants must make a certain monetary settlement. All applicants need to deposit Rs. 500. This is an one-time payment.
- Amount to be paid – The state power department has decided that all interested applicants will have to pay Rs. 500 to the authority. With the payment of this sum, the power company will reconnect the power line once again.
- Total number of beneficiaries – After checking the records, the authority pointed out that with the implementation of this scheme, it will offer power re-connections to as many as 6 lakh applicants.
- Tenure of the scheme – Interested individuals will be able to apply for the scheme benefits till the second month of 2019.
- Commercial and domestic connections – Gujarat CM announced that both domestic as well as commercial connection holders will be able to attain the benefits of this scheme as long as they meet the other requirement criteria.
- Total budget of the scheme – An estimate states that around Rs. 625 core has not been paid by the power connection holders, and thus the power supply has been disconnected. The implementation of this scheme will put a pressure of 625 crore on the state coffers.
- Power connection offenders – Some people steal power by illegal hooking. The authority penalizes such activities, and also terminates the connection. Under this scheme, such offenders will also be able to regain the connection, if they pay the settlement amount.
Eligibility and documents necessary for application
- Residential criterion – As this is a project by the state, only legal residents of the state will be able to enroll under the scheme. Thus, applicants must submit their legal residential documents, which support their claims.
- Financial background – The design and development has been done for people, who come from weaker financial backgrounds. Poor rural folks and farmers, who lack the power to pay their due bills, will get the benefits.
- Power connection holders only – Under this scheme, only those candidates will be able to register who already had power connections, but it was terminated due to non-payment of bills. New connections will not be entertained under this program.
- Personal ID – All interested applicants must submit their personal documents. Voter card, PAN card or Aadhar card are the documents, which will be considered by the authority.
- Electric bill – Apart from the personal identification documents, applicants will have to submit their last electricity bill. These documents will help the officials track that particular case and make overdue payments complete.
How to get applicant form and apply for the scheme?
Nothing much has been divulged by the state authority about the implementation and registration of the scheme. It will soon come out with the details, so that poor people, living in the villages can attain their connection back. As the scheme has been targeted towards the betterment of rural folks, it is obvious that the authority will opt for offline registration.
By waiving off the unpaid bill and by reinstating the power connection, the state will help poor farmers in their agricultural efforts. Schemes like this offer defaulters a chance to attain the benefits, but also offer them a lesson, which prevent them from making the same mistake over again.