Meritorious Sportsperson Pension Scheme 2020 – Monthly Pension for Athletes
The central government of India has come up with several schemes, which are targeted towards the betterment of sports persons. There is no shortage of sporting talents in the country. However, lack of proper infrastructure forces the meritorious athletes to take an early break from the game, and look for stable jobs. The launch and implementation of the Meritorious Sportsperson Pension Scheme will encourage sports persons to pursue their talents. Under this scheme, talented athletes will receive a pension, which will be offered by the central government. If you want to know more about the important aspects of this pension scheme for sports persons, then read this article.
Launch details of the scheme
|Name of the scheme||Meritorious Sportsperson Pension Scheme|
|Launched by||Manendra Modi|
|Announced by||Kiren Rijiju|
|Date of launch||2019|
|Date of implementation||2019 – 2020|
|Target beneficiaries||Talented sports person|
|Supervised by||Department of Sports and Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports|
Key features of the scheme
- Financial security for athletes – Another objective of the union government is to make sure that these talented individuals do not face financial constraints, after retirement.
- Medal winners – The benefits of this scheme will be given to the sports persons, who have won medals for the nation in prestigious sporting events.
- Financial assistance – The central government will offer anything between Rs. 20,000 to Rs, 12,000 to the beneficiaries of this project. The pension mount will depend on various aspects.
- Total beneficiaries – The Union Sports Minister has pointed out that 627 beneficiaries are enjoying the perks of this pension scheme, till date. The central government will take the necessary steps to offer the benefits to more eligible candidates.
- Payment frequency – It has been highlighted in the scheme details that every beneficiary of this pension scheme will acquire the pension on a monthly basis.
- Payment mode – The central government wants to ensure that the benefit dissemination process will be transparent and smooth. Thus, it has been decided that the pension will be transferred in the bank account of the beneficiary via Direct benefit Transfer mode.
Benefit details as per performance
|Category||Monthly Pension Amount|
|Olympic and Para-Olympic Medalists||Rs. 20,000|
|Gold Medal winners at international events||Rs. 16,000|
|Silver and bronze medalists||Rs. 14,000|
|1st position holders in Asian Games, Commonwealth Games or Para Asian Games||Rs. 14,000|
|2nd and 3rd position holders in Asian Games, Commonwealth Games or Para Asian Games||Rs. 12,000|
Eligibility for the applicants
- Must be an Indian citizen – Only the legal and permanent inhabitants of India will be able to acquire these benefits.
- Must be a sports person – It is mandatory that the person is associated with any form of sports.
- Age requirement – The benefits will be given to the athletes, who no longer take part in the sporting events. The minimum retirement age of the applicant must be 30 years. If the applicant crosses this age, but takes part in sporting events, then such registrations will be rejected.
- Must have participated in international events – The scheme highlights that athletes, who participated and won medals in the Olympic, Para-Olympic, Asian Games, International Championships, and Common Wealth Games, will be considered for this scheme.
- Must have a bank account – If the athlete does not have a bank account, he/she will not be able to attain the scheme perks.
Documents necessary for application
- Citizenship documents – The interested applicants needs to submit documents, which highlight that the candidate is a legal citizen of the country,
- ID proof – A copy of the applicant’s Aadhar Card needs to be furnished with the registration form.
- Registration certificate – The applicant needs to attach a copy of registration document that has been issued by the central sports ministry.
- Participation certificate – The enrollment request will be rejected if the candidate fails to attach copies of the participation and winner certificates.
- Bank account details – As the pension will be deposited through DBT, the bank account details must be mentioned.
How to attain the registration form and apply for the scheme?
The interested applicants need to register through the offline process. They can collect the enrollment form from any office of the Central Sports Department. However, the government may launch online registration process. Once the sports ministry officials make such announcement, you will get the details on our site.
The implementation of this project has been done to ensure that the talented sports persons can get financial security. Once the sports person retires from the game, his/her regular income gets curtailed. The monthly pension scheme for these candidates will ensure that they do not face any economic issues. The central government sponsored project will also encourage the young sports persons to participate in international events.
Other links –