Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana 2019-20
[Loan, Subsidy, Interest Rate, Form, Status, Eligibility, List, Last Date, Carpet Area]
Food, clothing and shelter are three basic needs, without which, living things will fail to survive. Lack of adequate food supply for all is the only problem that poor Indian citizens face. Recent survey shows that 30% of Indians do not have permanent homes. To solve this issue, Modi government announced and implemented Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana on a pan-nation basis.
|Name of the scheme||Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana|
|Official announcement date||2015|
|Announced by||PM Narendra Modi|
|Completion date||By 2022|
|Components||Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) and Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (GramUin)|
|Official website||https://pmaymis.gov.in/ for Urban|
https://www.iay.nic.in/ for Gramin
|Toll Free Number||1800 – 11 – 3377,|
1800 – 11 – 3388 and 1800 – 11 – 6163
The scheme’s main motto is “Housing for all.” The scheme has been designed by the central housing department. All monetary requirements will be met by the central government as well. For better management, the scheme was divided into two sections –
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Gramin)
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban).
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Gramin/Rural)- PMAY G
- Providing proper homes in rural areas – PMAY (Gramin) is not a new project. Before the launch of this project, a similar project was active in Indian rural areas. The name of that scheme was Indira Awas Yojana, and that too was implemented by Modi. The objective of this scheme was to offer villagers will permanent homes and better living conditions. PMAY (G) also has the same objectives.
- Carpet area of rural homes – Applicants opting for this scheme, will get homes with a total carpet area of 25 square meters. Earlier, it was only 20 square meters.
- Total financial assistance – Earlier, the central government has announced a financial assistance of Rs. 70,000 to all applicants. But that amount was later increased to Rs. 1 lakh 20 thousand.
- Division of expense – The total amount, required for this scheme will be divided in 60:40 ratio. The central authority will offer 60% of the total cost while the state authority of states will pay only 40%. But the expenses will be divided in 90:10 ratio for hilly regions in north and north-east.
- Funds for toilet construction – Absence of proper toilets in rural areas is another issue that this scheme aims to solve. Each PMAY (G) program applicant will receive an additional amount of Rs. 12,000. It must be used for construction of proper toilets.
- Loan Under PMAY Gramin– Applicants of this scheme will also be able to get housing credit from banks. The amount must not go above Rs 70,000.
- Providing other amenities – Apart from proper houses, this scheme will also see that rural people get access to other basic facilities.
Eligibility criteria for the scheme
- No permanent residence – Only those applicants will be able to enroll for this development project, which have pucca or temporary homes. The may stay in makeshift dwelling, mud home or brick homes, which do not have permanent roofs.
- Registration in SECC list – All applicants, who desire to get the financial assistance to construct their homes, must be registered in the SECC list. Other than this, they will not be able to apply under PMAY (G)
- Landless and poor families – Families, which do not own any land and earn their maximum livelihood by working as a labor, will be able to apply under this scheme.
PMAY (G) Implementation Process
- All applicants must provide their identification as well as bank account details, along with Aadhar Card number and mobile number. It is the responsibility of the respective department to do a background check on every selected applicant.
- Once the details have been crosschecked, respective authority will prepare the sanction letter for every selected beneficiary. Along with this authorized letter, beneficiaries will also receive their personalized PMAY (G) ID card and a Quick Response Card.
- After the final selection, respective office will send an SMS to each beneficiary. The SMS will be sent to the registered and active mobile number, given by the applicant.
- It is mandatory for the beneficiary to ensure that the entire construction of his/her houses is completed within a span of 1 year, starting from the day of the issuance of the sanction letter.
Installment payment for applicants
- It has been mentioned that each applicant will receive the financial assistance in installments. Applicant will receive the entire amount in three installments. It will depend on the current construction stage.
- The total amount and the number of installments will be decided at the beginning of the financial year. All installments will be transferred in the bank account of applicants. The central government has instructed the banks to notify applicants about this monetary transfer via SMS.
- Applicants will receive the first installment within seven working days, starting from the date of issuance of sanction letter by the respective department. Applicants can withdraw this sum before the actual construction work starts. But remaining installments will be released only after construction has progressed.
- Second installment will be released by the authority once the foundation and primary structure of the house has been completed.
- Finally, the third installment will be released only after the construction of windowsills, lintel or roofcast has been completed.
- The entire construction of the home will be divided into seven stages. It has been done for better monitoring of the scheme, and smooth fund release.
Activities related to Field Function Mapping
- For the mapping of the area, the applicant will have to take the snap of the land where he/she wants to construct the home. If he/she wants to remodel an existing home, then too this is mandatory. The snap must be verified and sanctioned by the block development officer of the area.
- As of now, only those applicants will be selected, which have their own lands. In due course, the central government will also work toward offering similar housing benefits to those who do not have their own land.
Total financial assistance Under PMAY-Gramin
- All applicants, opting for this housing scheme will be able to receive as much as Rs. 1 lakh 20 thousand from the central government, in case they desire to construct the permanent home in plane areas.
- To give a boost to the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, applicants will also receive an additional amount of Rs. 12,000 for construction of proper and permanent toilets, within the residential premises.
- For the construction of the home, Rs. 18,000 will be made available. This sum will come in handy to pay the labors. The amount will be given by the MGNAREGA.
- In case, more money is needed, the applicants can attain a credit of Rs. 70,000 from the commercial institutions like banks.
- The total amount that each applicant will receive under this scheme is Rs. 2 lakhs 20 thousand (1,20,000 + 12,000 + 18,000 + 70,000)
Application process for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Gramin)
Candidate, living in rural areas, will be able to apply for the PMAY (Gramin) scheme. It is easy to enroll for this project via offline process. Interested individuals need to make their way to the nearest public help center or to the block office. From these centers, interested applicants will be able to get their registration forms. After filling in these forms, selection of probable candidates will be done by gram panchayat. Once the primary list is complete, the final beneficiary list will be compiled by the higher authority.
Checking PMAY-G list
- All Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Gramin) applicants can check the list of selected individuals. It can be done by checking the online site. To get to this site, applicants need to click on the link http://iay.nic.in/netiay/home.aspx.
- As soon as the person clicks on this link, the authorized site will open. When the home page appears, applicants have to click on the link that is marked as “Report.”
- It will give them access to another page. On this page, applicants will see a section that is marked as A Block. Under this, there is another option that is marked as “Registration and Sanction Details.” Clicking on this link will immediately open another page.
- On this page, applicants will see an option that is marked as “Yojana.” This option will offer two sub-options – PMAY (Urban) and PMAY (Gramin). All applicants from rural areas will have to select the second option.
- It will produce a new page that contains the names of all 29 states, located in India. Candidates need to click on the names of their respective states.
- As soon as the applicants click on any state name, it will trigger the site to produce another list that contains the names of all districts. Candidates must click on the name of the district where they reside.
- When an individual clicks on any district, then a new list, containing all block details of that area will open up. Clicking on any block will open another page that offers details of all gram panchayats.
- All these steps will allow the candidate to check the beneficiary list. In case their name does not feature in this list, applicants can get in touch with the respective authority.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban/Shahri) PMAY-U
Another component of the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana will tackle the housing issues in urban areas. The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) was announced to make sure that poor, economically weaker sections and slum dwellers get their won permanent homes by the end of 2022. The following are the four main objectives of this scheme:
- Reallocation of people living in slums.
- Offering Credit Link Subsidy so that financially weaker sections get their own homes as soon as possible.
- To enable people to attain affordable housing in their areas.
- Providing subsidy for the applicants.
- In urban areas, major stress will be given on slum areas. Areas where around 300 people or at least 70 families are living in unhygienic conditions, without access to basic amenities and in poorly built temporary houses, will be considered as slums. These people will receive well-built permanent homes, with electricity and water supply for better living standards.
- Categories have been formed to segregate urban people on the basis of their annual income. There are three distinct groups –
- Economically Weaker Sections,
- Low Income Groups and
- Middle Income Groups.
EWS will be able to attain the complete benefit of this housing scheme, while other two sections will only receive Credit Link scheme benefits.
People with a yearly income of Rs. 3 lakhs or less will fall in EWS category, while families with an income of Rs. 3 lakhs to Rs. 6 lakhs will belong to the LIG section.
In case, any urban family has an annual income of Rs. 6 lakhs to Rs. 18, it will fall under MIG.
- All applicants, falling under the MIG and LIG section will have to support their claims by submitting an affidavit document along with their credit applications.
- According to the scheme draft, an urban home that consists of a husband, wife, unmarried girl and boy will be considered as an ideal household. It has also been mentioned that none of the members must possess a permanent dwelling in any part, within the borders of India.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) Phases
- As mentioned, this scheme was launched in 2015 and the central government aims to complete it by 2022. Due to the elaborate nature of this project, implementation and construction work will be undertaken in three separate schemes.
- The commencement of Phase I took place in April 2015 and ended in March 2017. During this phase, the central government was able to implement this scheme in around 100 selected cities.
- Phase II began in April 2017 and will continue till the end of March 2019. During this span, around 200 other cities will be brought under this scheme as well. The applicants from these cities will be offered the benefit of this project.
- Phase III of this scheme will begin in April 2019 and will end in March 2022. It is during this phase that rest of the cities will be brought under the umbrella of this construction project.
Different parts of the scheme
As per the scheme details, applicants in urban areas will be able to get the perks as per their income. All applicants will be categorized according to their annual income. There will be three income groups in the cities and surrounding areas. For more details on this, check out the following sections:
Redevelopment of slums – It is difficult to build or purchase a house in cities due to high cost. It results in the formation of number of slums. Under the PMAY – U, central government will take care of in-situ slum development. Under this point, people living in slums will be offered their own permanent homes. Apart from their own residential units, these slum dwellers will also receive all necessary facilities. Authorities will take over the slum areas and develop proper residential units for these people. The state government will decide how much slum dwellers need to pay for attaining these developed housing quarters. Even the cutoff will be decided by respective state governments.
PMAY-U Features and benefits
- Under this scheme, all people, living in slums will be offered additional floor area ratio, floor space index and handover rights, by the state governments. These will make this scheme easy for implementation in urban slum areas.
- The state government will also offer financial assistance of Rs. 1 lakh to all applicants. The mode of payment will be decided by the respective state government.
- The state government may decide to handover the houses to the applicants for good, or these residential units may be offered on lease basis. This decision will also be taken by the state government.
- Houses constructed under this project will have two separate components. One is rehabilitation of slum dwellers and the other is free sale. Under rehabilitation component, applicants will receive a permanent residential unit with all necessary facilities. Under free sale component, slum developing agencies will be able to sell these units, at affordable rates, in the area.
- Private real estate developers will have to make temporary residential arrangements for these slum dwellers, while slum redevelopment task is in motion.
PM Awas Yojana Urban Credit Link Subsidy Scheme
Apart from slum development, this scheme also aims at offering affordable residential units to people living in urban areas. For this, credit link subsidy scheme is another essential part of this project. People will be placed under different categories under credit link subsidy scheme.
Credit link facility for people falling under Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) and Low Income Group (LIG)
- People falling under these two income categories will be able to receive credit from any bank or other financial institutes to acquire their permanent homes under PMAY – U. The credit link scheme for EWS and LIG states that these applicants will be offered housing credit at 6.5% interest rate. Applicants will have to repay the loan amount within 20 years.
- Only those applicants will be able to get this subsidy, which are opting for a loan that does not exceed the limit of Rs. 6 lakhs. In case the credit amount is more than 6 lakhs, normal interest rates will be applicable.
- The interest amount has to be transferred in the loan account of the applicant. Once the applicant pays the specific EMI in that amount, the bank or financial organization will calculate the subsidy amount and retransfer it in the applicant’s account.
- In case the family head is a women or the application is made in the joint name of husband and wife, then the legal documents will be made in the name of the male member if the female member is less than 18 years of age.
- Apart from specified rooms, these residential units will also have adequate space for kitchens and bathrooms. In addition to these, water, electricity and sewage connection will be available as well.
- All applicants, falling under EWS group will be able to get these benefits if they have an annual income of Rs. 3 lakhs or less. Applicants will be nominated for LIG in case their annual income ranges between 3 lakhs and 6 lakhs.
- The area of houses constructed for EWS applicants will be 30 square meters, while that of LIG applicants will be 60 square meters. In case applicants desire to construct bigger homes, they can do so, but subsidy will only limited to Rs. 6 lakh only.
|Income Group||Annual Income Limit||Loan Amount Included Under Subsidy||Interest Subsidy||Initial EMI||SMI – Subsidy Amount||Monthly Saving||Annual Saving|
|EWS or Economically Weaker Section||Rs. 0 to Rs. 3 lakhs||Rs. 3 lakhs||Rs. 1,33,640||Rs. 2895||Rs. 1605||Rs. 1290||Rs. 15, 480|
|LIG or Low Income Group||Rs. 3 to Rs. 6 lakhs||Rs. 6 lakhs||Rs. 2,67,280||Rs. 5790||Rs. 3211||Rs. 2579||Rs. 30,948|
Credit Link Subsidy for people falling under Middle Income Group I and II or MIG – I and MIG – II
- For people who have more income have been categorized as Middle Income Group or MIG. But this group also consists of two separate sections. People who have an annual income of Rs. 6 lakhs to Rs. 12 lakhs will be placed under MIG – I, while people who have an annual income of Rs. 12 lakhs to Rs. 18 lakhs will be placed under MIG – II.
- Earlier, carper area, specified for MIG – I and MIG – II were 120 square meters and 150 square meters respectively. But central government announced that it has revamped the scheme guidelines and now these two groups will be able to construct homes with carpet area of 160 square meters and 200 square meters respectively.
- All applicants, placed under MIG – I will be able to receive a financial credit of Rs. 9 lakhs and applicants, placed under MIG – II will be able to get as much as Rs. 12 lakhs as housing credit from banks. MIG – I and MIG – II will receive subsidy at 4% and 3% respectively. They need to repay the entire loan amount within 20 years.
- MIG – I and MIG – II applicants will be able to receive as much as Rs. 2,35,068 and Rs. 2,30,156 as subsidy under credit link scheme.
- Firstly, applicants will have to deposit the EMI amount in the loan account. After the deposit is made, respective authority will make necessary deductions and redeposit the subsidy amount in the applicants’ bank accounts.
- The house may be registered in the name of the head female member of each family. Otherwise, it can be registered in joint name of husband and wife. In case the family does not have any adult female, then it will be registered in the name of head adult male.
|Income Group||Annual Income Limit||Interest Subsidy||Loan Tenure||Amount of Loan Permissible||Carpet Area of the House||Normal Interest||Annual Subsidy Amount|
|Middle Income Group I or MIG – I||Rs 6 lakhs to Rs. 12 lakhs||4%||20 years||Till Rs. 9 lakhs||160 m.sq||9%||Rs. 2,35,068|
|Middle Income Group II or MIG – II||Above 12 lakhs but till Rs. 18 lakhs||3%||20 years||Till Rs. 12 lakhs||200 m.sq||9%||2,30,156|
Announcement by RBI
RBI or Reserve Bank of India has recently made an announcement that all applicants who desire to attain home loans, and stay in an area that has a population of more than 10 lakhs will be able to receive as much as Rs. 35 lakhs. For candidates, residing in areas with less than 10 lakh population a home loan of Rs. 25 lakhs will be granted.
- Partnership House Acquisition Scheme
Another way to ensure affordability is though partnership. Houses for EWS applicants will be constructed with cooperation from state governments as well. Even these candidates will be able to receive financial assistance from the authority. Under Affordable Partnership scheme, EWS candidates will receive around 1.5 lakhs for house construction. 35% of all residential units constructed under this project will be set aside for Economically Weaker Section candidates.
Application process of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban)
PMAY Offline Application Process
- Any interested candidate who is interested in applying for this scheme, via offline process, will have to get to the nearest public help centers.
- Applicants will be able to purchase registration forms from these offices. They need to pay Rs. 25 for each application form.
- Applicants must have a photocopy of their Aadhar Card along with a recently clicked passport sized photograph.
- Once the enrollment form has been filled with the necessary data, the applicants need to submit the form along with other necessary documents.
- After submitting this enrollment form, applicants will receive a receipt from these help centers. On this slip, identification details of the applicants will be mentioned. The particular number of the slip will come in handy while tracking the application status.
PMAY Online Application Process
- In case an applicant in interested in applying for the PMAY – Urban scheme, via online process, then he/she will have to click on the official website of the scheme. The link address is https://pmaymis.gov.in/#.
- As soon as the home page opens, candidates need to click on the link that has been marked as “Citizen Assessment.”
- It will open another page. Here, applicants have to check their eligibility by typing in the Aadhar Card number. To initiate the checking process, applicants must click on the link that is marked as “Check.”
- People who do not possess their Aadhar Card will not be able to proceed beyond this level.
- The completion of the checking process will generate another page. Here, applicants will get the official registration form. The form must be filled with all necessary details. Any incorrect information or mistake will result in the cancellation of the enrollment form.
- Once the application form fill-up process is complete, it must be submitted. For that candidates need to click on the link marked as “Submit.”
- It will trigger the site to generate a submission code. This code will be different for each person. When the site produces this code, applicants must note it. It will come in handy to track the application status later.
How to check PMWY (U) current application status?
- After making the applicant, candidates can keep track of the status of their request. To get details about the current request status, one has to click on the authorized link of this scheme. To reach the site, applicants need to click on the link https://pmaymis.gov.in/#.
- Once the main page opens, applicants have to place the mouse pointer on the option that is marked as “Citizen Statement.”
- After this, candidates need to click on the link that is marked as “Check your assessment status.”
- There are two options that applicants can choose from. One is “By name, father’s name” option and the other is “By assessment ID.”
- Once the candidates take their pick, they will have to fill in the fields accordingly, to get the current status report of their application.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana App
Recently, the central government has also launched a new app that will allow interested candidates in keeping track of updates and application status easily. The app has been developed for Android smartphones. Any individual can download the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana app for free from Google PlayStore.
The link for this app is
Another application, namely AwaasApp has been launched that will offer information to those who have registered for the PMAY –Gramin scheme.
The app can be downloaded from the link
PMAY helpline and contact details
Interested candidates, who desire to attain details about either Gramin or Urban category of this unique housing scheme, can get in touch with the authority via the following numbers – 1800 – 11 – 3377, 1800 – 11 – 3388 and 1800 – 11 – 6163.
The PMAY is a bringer of good news to common people of the nation who don’t have adequate financial capability to construct their own homes. The task has already started, and the central government hopes to attain most of its target, by the end of 2022.