Zero Power Bill Scheme in Delhi 2020-21 [ Subsidy Yojana, Registration Form, Apply, Eligibility, Documents]
During the last election campaign in Delhi, the AAP government has promised the people of Delhi that it will provide respite to the people from hefty power bills. The party secured the support of the people, and came back on the political throne of Delhi in February 2019. After the election, the Chief Minister of Delhi developed and implemented the Zero Power Bill Scheme for the needy people, and farmers. In the wake of the COVID – 19 pandemic, a high percentage of residents of Delhi have lost their source of income. The Chief Minister has made some changes in the original scheme guidelines, to offer better respite to the inhabitants of this area. If you want to know more about the altered features, then read this article.
|Name of the scheme||Zero Power Bill Scheme|
|Launched by||Arvind Kejriwal|
|Date of announcement||August 2019|
|Date of implementation||2019 – 2020|
|New scheme related announcement||April 2020|
|Target beneficiaries||Existing beneficiaries of the scheme|
|Supervised by||Government of Delhi|
Key features of the scheme
- Betterment of the residents – The scheme and the changed guidelines will ensure better power facilities to the people, at cheaper rates.
- Free power connection – In any connection holder uses less than or equal to 200 units of electricity, then no bill will be generated for that house.
- Subsidy on power bill – If the household electricity consumption of any house is more than 200 but less than 400, then such beneficiaries will attain a subsidy of Rs. 800 on the total billing amount.
- 100% subsidy – In the recent announcement, the Chief Minister also said that the 1984 unrest victims will attain a 100% subsidy on the power bills, till the electricity consumption remains within 400 units.
- Subsidy for farmers – The farmers, which need steady power supply in the agricultural fields for irrigation, will attain a subsidy of Rs. 150 for every kilowatt of utilized power.
- Subsidized power bill for lawyers – The Chief Minister has also added a special subsidy for the lawyers, practicing in the Delhi courts. The Delhi government will provide a subsidy for the power bills, generated for the chambers of the lawyers.
- Tenure of free power supply – The households, which do not require more than 200 units of electricity, will be able to enjoy the free power supply, starting from April 2020 to March 2021.
- Number of beneficiaries – As mentioned by the Delhi government, around 15 lakh individuals, will be able to enjoy the various benefits of this scheme, as per their eligibility.
- Allocated budget – The Delhi government has already allocated a whopping budget of 2820 crore for the implementation of this scheme.
Eligibility for the scheme
- Resident of Delhi – If any person desires to avail of these perks, then he/she must be a permanent and legal resident of Delhi.
- Connection holders – Only those candidates, which already have power connection, will get the perks. It is not for new connection enthusiasts.
- Farmers can apply – The scheme will also enable the agricultural workers to obtain the financial relaxation on the power consumption.
- BPL and EWS candidates – The residents of Delhi, which fall in the BPL and EWS category will be allowed to attain the benefits of this scheme.
Documents necessary for application
- Residential proof
- Identification proof
- Current power bill
- Income certificate
- Certificate issued by Farmers’ Association
- Bar Council certificate for lawyers
How to get the application form and register?
No new application is necessary for the beneficiaries. As the scheme has been active in Delhi for some time, the state authority has access to the beneficiary records. The power bills, during the above mentioned tenure will be generated by the companies accordingly.
The COVID – 19 pandemic has places several challenges in the lives of the people. The central and the state authorities are using the tools at their disposal to manage the grave situation. The financial structure has almost collapsed due to the shutting down of industrial, transportation and other revenue generation sectors. The changes, made in the current program will provide some relief to the people in Delhi.